Thursday, September 17, 2026

Life's Moments

 


I’ve told this story before, but I believe it is worth telling again.

I was probably ten years old, attending a basketball game at the old Loudon High School up on the hill above downtown Loudon. Times were different then. I’m pretty sure my dad dropped me off at the front door with enough money to cover admission and a bag of popcorn.

This was one of those old gyms where everything in sight was made of wood. There was a narrow balcony running the length of the court on both sides, maybe three rows of seats each.

Growing up, it seemed quite big, certainly bigger than anything else I had ever seen. I remember the same thing about the church that I grew up in—First Baptist Church of Loudon.

I remember thinking how huge the sanctuary was in that church and when the choir loft behind the preacher was full, well…I could imagine it all as quite heavenly. Returning later as a seasoned adult of 24, it seemed positively tiny, especially after attending church at Bellview Baptist in Memphis.

I was with my friend Jimmy Greenway, sitting on the balcony near the entrance to the gym.  This would have been about 1963 and bouffant hair-do’s were all the rage among the women of the day. This was a fashion where a female’s hair was piled up high on top of their head.

Jimmy and I were actually sitting on the edge of the balcony, dangling our legs off the edge, taking some of that popcorn and trying to drop into some of those poofy hair-do’s as our victims entered the gym.

We took great delight when we hit our target. That’s where the real story starts.

Sitting just behind us was a young mom and her son Jay Barker. Jay had some mild physical issues that I understand more today, but he was a great kid with a great smile. I later got to know him well.

After another successful popcorn drop, Jay’s mom turned to him and said “don’t turn out to be like those boys.” It hit me like a brick. I remember it clearly to this day and if that gym is still standing, I can take you to the exact spot it all happened. 

I was a good kid. Boy Scouts (later an Eagle). Royal Ambassadors. Straight A’s. Paper route. Responsible. But that moment changed me for life. From that point on, I have never forgotten my personal responsibility to be a good example to everyone, especially kids. That somebody is watching me, maybe learning how to treat other people.

This week at a football game, I witnessed an episode where an adult on the chain gang turned and taunted the players on one team after his son’s team scored a touchdown. I intervened (maybe I shouldn’t have) and asked the fellow to be a bit more professional. I’ll not repeat his response. The school’s AD did address the situation at halftime.

I’ll not even pretend that I think this might reach that fellow, but if it did, I would want him to know that he’s an adult and that kids are watching adults to learn how to behave. How to act.

Adults, teens, pre-teens—pretty much everybody…there’s a good chance that some child is watching you, seeking input on how to behave.

Do better. Be better. Little eyes are watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment