Monday, June 17, 2024

The Road Less Traveled

 



“Two roads diverged in a wood and I—I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference.”

That line, the most famous by poet Robert Frost, came up in a conversation recently. Yeah, sometimes I run with a weird crowd. But it actually had to do with sports and competition. It started as just another conversation about sports specialization and private coaches, personal trainers, and travel teams. For 10 year olds.

We talked about choosing just one sport at too early an age, which, at the very least, leads to injuries and, at its worst, causes burnout and abandoning sport altogether. No less authority than world renowned Orthopedic Surgeon Dr. Jim Andrews is on a mission to discourage sports specialization.

Many noted authorities on youth sport injuries in baseball declare that throwing a curve ball before physical and emotional maturity is a huge mistake. Research backs that up.

And there’s not much evidence for sport-specific personal trainers before puberty anyway. Travel teams seem to be the norm these days and it’s OK, but not at the risk of losing a childhood.

We also talked about recruiting services for young athletes. The worst example that I’ve heard in a while was an “agent” who, for a fee, would guarantee a college scholarship. For a 12 year old basketball player.

They had to play on the “right” teams and go to the “right” camps but this all-seeing agent could already tell that your child was destined for greatness.  At 12. Yeah, right.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve seen 12 year olds that you just knew were going to be good. Cait McMahan at 12 was going to be a star athlete. Everybody that saw her knew it.

Goodness, she could have played just about anything. I remember seeing her throw a football in the end zone of a high school game, tossing 40 yard spirals. She might have been 9 at that time. She would beat 8th graders in basketball when she was a 4th grader. It happened.

And Lee Humphreys. If you ever saw him shoot a basketball (I first saw him when he was in the 7th grade), you knew that he had a shot like none you had ever seen before.

I would have offered him a basketball scholarship in junior high. That UT’s coach Buzz Peterson didn’t wrap him up in recruiting still bumfuzzles me. Lee went on to superstardom at Florida, holding 3 point shooting records there that may still be standing.

But like Cait, he could have played anything. Can you imagine him as the receiver on a football team? Or as a slick-gloved shortstop? Sure you can.

Can you imagine what a terror Cait would have  been on the basepaths of a softball game? Or as a Libero, covering the entire volleyball court? I don’t know if she’s ever even held a golf club in her hands but I bet she could hit it straighter and farther than I ever did.

The point is that yes, you know that some athletes are destined for greatness. You know it even when they’re young. Which brings up another quote/cliché—hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.

That’s where the Robert Frost quote came into the conversation. Yes, Cait and Lee were blessed with talent, but they worked hard.

I think Lee had the keys to a couple of gyms. I know that I would see him from time to time at Maryville College, shooting in the gym. I have no idea how many thousands of shots he took in practice while in high school but I’m certain that number is huge.

And Cait, whose dad was a legendary coach in these parts and whose brother was a prodigious athlete in his own right. Few would outwork her. She was always doing something to make herself better. Still does.

Which brings me to the final point. There is no easy path to success. You have to put in the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment