Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Balance for Life

 


I get stopped often. Complete strangers will come up to me and tell me “I read your column in the newspaper.” It really does happen a lot and I’m grateful that people find something of value in my words in this space.

I guess if there is a target audience for what I’m trying to say here, it would be active individuals. Or parents of athletes. Hopefully those that are trying to get healthier.  But I do tend to cover a lot of topics.  In 40 years (it’s official now), I’ve covered everything imaginable.

If you’re paying attention, you will notice that I stay away from politics and religion. This is not the place for that. My choice. 

I just let people decide for themselves where I stand. I am spiritual and I am, I guess, political. Political in that I believe we should all vote and participate in the practice of democracy.

I am an active participant in the legislative process, visiting Nashville and Washington DC often. It’s pretty much always about physical therapy and health care issues, advocating for our patients. There’s a saying in the legislature that “you’re either at the table or somebody is eating your lunch.” I choose to be at the table. Have been for a long time. 

I find myself advocating for the needs of senior citizens more and more. Maybe it’s because I’m now in that demographic, but it really might be more because I see shortages and inequities in the health care we provide our elder citizens.

And what made me think about those seniors today is that it seems like that is more and more the population that reads my column. At least those are the folks that mention it. So this one’s for you.

It doesn’t seem like younger folks read newspapers much. My kids haven’t reached for the printed version in years and I now find myself reading the online version pretty much every day. Welcome to today’s world, I guess.

I really do miss the actual newspaper, printed on paper. Sunday morning with a cup of coffee and my Sunday paper was divine. But us senior citizens have to adapt. So, I read my online edition.

And since it seems like the geriatric set is a large part of my readership, today’s message is all about you.

More specifically, about falling. Everyone fears falling, with good reason. Of those that fall and break their hip, about a fourth die within the year.  So, you don’t want to fall.  But there’s hope--balance can be trained up. Many falls can be prevented.

There are lots of things you can do.  Staying active helps. Going for a walk every day is important. Moving your body is crucial.

There are some specific exercises you can do.  First, find a flat surface, clear of obstacles, and within arm’s reach of something you can grab to stabilize yourself. If you feel insecure, have someone stand nearby. Stand on one leg. Stand on the other leg. Stand on one leg with your eyes closed. Stand on one leg and swing your arms around.

Stand on one leg and reach out and step on spots around the floor with the other foot.  Try standing on a pillow. The variations are endless. Now here’s the thing—you’ve got to do it every day.  Maybe even a couple of times per day.

And strength training. You simply must do it. Without it, you just get progressively weaker. I don’t care how active you are or how much you hate it—you’ve got to do it.

It just makes sense that if you are stronger, you are going to be more stable, more able prevent falls. Strength training not only stabilizes the core, but it strengthens the bones.  And if you do fall, maybe you’re less likely to break a bone. 

It’s just common sense if you think about it. Those systems that can keep you from falling (balance, strength, focusing on your surroundings) can be learned.  At any age.  And if these strategies can keep you from falling, you’ve won.

No comments:

Post a Comment