Sunday, July 26, 2026

Bike Safety Follow-up

 


The piece that I wrote about bicycling a couple of weeks ago sure generated a lot of discussion.

After my column is published in The Daily Times, I post it on social media. It was there where I saw a lot of feedback.

The comments ranged widely but the consensus seemed to be that everyone was concerned about the safety of cyclists, that the recent death was truly tragic.

Let me tell you a bit about my bicycle history. I got my first bike when I was seven and promptly wrecked it in front of Marie Brooks house when I thought a car was going to pull out in front of me.

For years after that, a bicycle was my primary means of transportation.  I lived on the outskirts of town but most of my buddies lived in town, a mile or so away. In the summers, I would get up in the morning, ride into town, and do stuff with my friends (that’s another story).

The only rule was be home for dinner.

In college, the bike stayed at home. I got married right before moving to Memphis for physical therapy school, so my wife got the car to take to work while I rode my bike to class, rain or shine.

As a young father, I got my kids bikes and we would often ride together. Most of that was on the few mountain bike trails we had around here back then.

It was actually my college-age daughter that convinced me to get a road bike and for the next several decades, I rode on the roads.  I put in thousands of miles, most of those with my buddy Steve Bright.

I’ve always rode my mountain bike—I was a “mixed” rider, I guess. For many years, Ken Bell, Eric Morgan, Keith Amos, and I would head out for week-long mountain bike excursions.

Blackberry Mountain opened up mountain bike trails for guests and I was the first to sign up as a guide (something I still do occasionally).

Most of my riding now is mountain biking, most often with Ken Bell. Many Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, you’re going to find us on one of the many trails around here.

Baker Preserve in south Knoxville. I.C. King Park off Old Knoxville Highway. Vee Hollow in Townsend. And my current favorite, Concord Park in west Knoxville.

And here’s the thing—I will continue to preach to bikers to be smarter and safer.  I will continue to advocate for the rights and protection of bike riders everywhere.

But ride I will. As long as I’m able.

No comments:

Post a Comment