“The more you see the world, the less you judge it.” I found
this quote on social media but couldn’t find out where it originated. But I
like it.
I mentioned in a recent column about how awesome I found the
World Cup to be. Same thing about the Tour de France. I also mentioned how
incredibly fortunate I have been to travel for my career.
Many years ago, I got involved with my professional
associations, more significantly with the American Physical Therapy Association
and the American Academy of Sports Physical Therapy. These have provided me
with opportunities and opened doors for me that this small-town boy of humble
origins could never have imagined.
I was a sophomore in college when I had knee surgery and met
my first physical therapist, Dr. Ray Patterson. As I have done a thousand
times, Ray asked me what my major was. I told him it was Wildlife Biology but
that I was changing majors and trying to decide whether I wanted to be a doctor
or a football coach.
He said “great, you’re gonna be a physical therapist.” I had
no idea how fortuitous that conversation would turn out to be. It has led to a
career that has been perfect for me.
I’ll not bore you with a list of all the things I’ve done
and places I’ve been. It’s almost surreal. I still get goosebumps flying into
our nation’s Capital. The Rockies from above, the Caribbean from below—it’s all
amazing.
And sports have taken me to so many incredible places that I
still worry that I have Imposter Syndrome—that I don’t really deserve to be in
that arena.
Maybe I’m just getting more reflective (isn’t that what old
people are supposed to do?), but I’ve met so many incredible athletes along the
way. Evander Holyfield. George Hincappie. Dikembe Mutombo. David Robinson.
I remember the children’s church song—“red and yellow, black
and white, they are precious in His sight….”
I’ve seen all colors, learned a few words of several
languages, met people very different from me in so many ways, and I’ve come to
several conclusions.
People are the same wherever you go. They want the same
things. They want to live long and prosper. They want their kids to be healthy
and happy, and to be more, do more, accomplish more, than they did themselves.
Right now, at this moment, a dad somewhere is throwing a
ball with his daughter. A mom is
dropping her son off at swim practice.
Maybe they coach a team. Or just bring snacks. Maybe they do
more chores so that their child can play a sport or pursue a dream. But they
are there for their kids. Always. Providing opportunities. Opening doors.
Letting them see the world, not just one corner of it.
Mom and Dad, that’s your job.
No comments:
Post a Comment