Saturday, October 10, 2026

Be That Friend...

 


My kids will tell you—they were never allowed to ride in the back of a pickup truck. Keep in mind, that just about their whole lives, I have owned a pickup truck.

My daughter was particularly embarrassed one time when she had ridden a short distance in the back of a pickup of the dad of one of her friends, and had planned to return to that friend’s house riding once again in the back of that pickup truck.

I said no.  As in, adamantly no. It was quite embarrassing for her. “But all my friends do it!”

All my friends do it. Parents, how many times have you heard that?

That great philosopher (and former football coach and guidance counselor) David Ellis tells the story of two friends walking along the sidewalk, when one of them starts to step into the street into incoming traffic.

Of course, the other friend grabs them and pulls them back to safety. Of course they do. Everybody would do that.

Coach Ellis’s story continues. So, if you would keep your friend from stepping into traffic, why wouldn’t you stop them when they are about to do something else dangerous? Or stupid? Are the circumstances not the same?

Isn’t that what friends do?  Yes, without hesitation!

So, why don’t we apply the same logic, the same scenario, when our friends are about to get into things like alcohol and drugs? Or hanging out with the wrong people?  Or are putting themselves in a dangerous position?

My own parents’ admonition if I were ever to say “but all my friends are doing it” was the same thing—if all your friends are jumping off a bridge, would you jump too? Uh, no, I guess not.

Here’s the bottom line:  Our friends often have more influence on our behaviors than our parents.

There have been three former football players at Maryville High School that have died of drug overdose. I could sugarcoat it, but that serves no real purpose.  It is what it is.

I don’t know if the problem is any different at that school than any other, I just knew those kids and I was part of that athletic program for decades.

These were good kids—kids I enjoyed being around. But if you think for a minute this couldn’t happen in your family or on your team, you’re wrong.

Teach your kids about things in this world that they shouldn’t do, but maybe it’s more important to teach them to help their friends make better decisions.

Young people—be that friend that keeps somebody from stepping off the sidewalk into oncoming traffic.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment