Saturday, October 3, 2026

It's time...

 


I had a colonscopy this week.  It isn’t the first time.  I have a strong family history of colon cancer so since I was 40, I have had a colonoscopy any time my Gastroenterologist tells me to. 

For years, it was Dr. Ed Brown.  a kind, gentle man, Dr. Brown was the kind of doctor that you want for this kind of problem. 

After he retired, those duties fell to Dr. Isaac Cline. I’ve known Dr. Cline sine long before he became Dr. Cline.  When he was but a boy, his dad (also Dr. Cline, as is his mother) brought him to me for an injury. He was later an outstanding lineman for us on the Maryville High School football team.

Like Dr. Brown before him, Dr. Cline is patient, caring, and thorough. I am literally trusting him with my life.

Now (you might ask), what do colon cancer and colonscopy and gastroenterology and all this have to do with sports.  After all, this is in the sports page.

Oh, I suppose I could stretch it to say that I still consider myself an athlete and this is part of being active and healthy in these, my senior years.  Or I could use it to write about a young man that was a hard-working, dedicated football player and maybe turned those sports lessons into a medical career.

But that’s stretching it a bit, though true.  And it’s not really about me.  A young friend of my children has recently been diagnosed with advanced state colon cancer. But this really isn’t about her either. I know she will get the best possible care and should live a long and happy life.

No, this one’s for you.  And, yes, I know, I’ve written this same thing before. But it bears repeating

Colon cancer is completely treatable if detected early.  I actually started colon screenings in my 30’s.  There’s a thing called a Fecal Occult Test, basically testing for blood in your feces (as my granddaughter said—ewwwww!).

Those at high risk, mainly those with a family history of colon cancer, need to get a colonoscopy, beginning at age 40. But those without a family history also need to get checked.  Dr. Cline noted that those without a family history of colon cancer often don’t get checked until they have symptoms, and that is late in the game. 

He also notes that colon cancer is not just genetic, that it is often largely environmental. Those that are smokers, eat a lot of processed food, are obese, and who consume significant amounts of alcohol are also at risk and need to be checked. It’s actually a good idea for everyone 20 and older to see their Primary Care Physician on an annual basis. Period. No exceptions.

The colonoscopy really isn’t as bad as it sounds—you’re asleep the whole time during the procedure.  The hard part is the liquid diet the day before.  My go-to sustenance is warm lime Jello and Dr. Peppers.  All day long.

My exam this year is the best one I’ve had and years, but I can tell you the only thing on my mind when I woke up was food.  For me, that was a breakfast bowl at Calloway’s Tennessee Kitchen. Biscuit and gravy with added on Springer Mountain Chicken and Benton’s Bacon. The thought of that got me through a very long Tuesday and the procedure on Wednesday. You do whatever it takes.

If you’re at risk, get checked soon.  Don’t put it off.  I won’t tell you it’s easy, but I will tell you that it is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment