Sunday, November 20, 2011

This one may be too much information....

I'm gonna share today.   It may be too much information:   You can stop reading now if you already know too much about me.

I had a colonoscopy on Wednesday.   That's a procedure where they....well, you'll just have to look that part up. 
Everyone (everyone) should consider colonoscopy beginning at age 50.  If you have a family history of colon cancer or any of the risk factors, you should consider colonoscopy at 40.

I started having these things at 40.   I have a rather profound family history of colon cancer and so I was strongly encouraged to start then.   My grandmother died of colon cancer.  My mom had most of her large intestine removed because of it.  I have cousins that have had colon cancer or who have had pre-cancerous polyps removed.
According to the American Cancer Society, in 2011 about 148,000 people in this country will be diagnosed with colon cancer.  It is the fourth most common cancer in both men and women.  About 1 person in 20 will develop colon cancer during their lifetime.

A lot of other cancers started in the colon and move (metastasize) to other places.  That's one reason why it is so incredibly important to pay attention to colon cancer.
Yet, colon cancer is one of the most preventable cancers known.  Early detection gives it an almost 100% success rate.   Two tools are important in that process:  the Fecal Occult Blood Test  and the colonoscopy.

A Fecal Occult Blood Test as part of my annual physical with my primary care physician revealed a very small amount of blood in my stool. 
Polyps (small growths in the colon that can be a precursor to cancer) and cancers in the colon can bleed.    So although it wasn't quite time for my every-5-years colonoscopy, I called to make an appointment with Dr. Ed Brown, my gastroenterologist.

I have had colon polyps (small growths that can be a precursor to cancer) removed before but my last colonoscopy revealed none so I was put on a 5 year cycle for a repeat colonoscopy.  But now it was time for another.
A lot of jokes can be made about a colonoscopy.  My favorite is from comedian Jerry Clower, who said "if you hear the word 'procto,' gather your split-tail gown around you and go hide in the swamp."

It really isn't that bad.  The bad part is the clear liquids that you have to drink for 24 hours before the colonoscopy and the cleansing process.  On Tuesday, I craved solid food.  Anything.  I've never been more tired of bullion and jello.
The colonoscope itself is a long, flexible instrument with what is essentially a camera at its end.  The doctor administering the test is able to examine the entire length of the colon.  But you don't care because you're asleep.   It really only sounds bad.  Like I said, the bad part is the cleaning out.  

On Wednesday, Dr. Brown removed three polyps which means that I'm back on a 3 year cycle.  That's OK.  I'll do whatever it takes. 
                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment