Sunday, May 13, 2012

Old Dog/New Tricks


You've probably heard the old adage "you can't teach an old dog new tricks."  Well, I'm definitely the old dog (or on the verge of being one) and I would hate to think I'm finished learning new tricks.
I'm much more likely to buy into the idea that "if you're not moving forward, you're getting behind."  I still haven't learned to fly an airplane or speak a foreign language but there's always tomorrow.  

I just got back from a really intense, really great learning experience.  In my twin worlds of physical therapy and athletic training, we call it continuing education and it is important.
Because if you aren't paying attention to new information, current research, and emerging concepts, you will indeed get behind in a hurry.

When I graduated from physical therapy school in what my kids see as the Dark Ages (yes, it was a long time ago but we weren't using charcoal on a slate, for crying out loud), we were treating most back problems with passive modalities like heat and ultrasound and a set of exercises called "Williams Flexion Exercises."
We now know that stuff doesn't really work for most back problems.  Research has long since taught us that ice is almost always preferable to heat and I'm here to tell you that if your back care doesn't focus on a wide range of exercises you might ought to look elsewhere for your care.

Anyway, ongoing research keeps us looking critically at the way we are doing things.  What we know with certainty today may be improved on or disproved tomorrow.  So you gotta pay attention. That's why this meeting I attended was so good (OK, it was in a pretty spot too, but that's beside the point).
Basically, thirty  of us, almost all both physical therapists and athletic trainers and from all around the world, meet every summer to argue and discuss for two days.  The critical process and open forum prompt innovative thinking from which new ideas emerge.  

So what does that mean to you?  Hopefully those ideas yield useful evaluation and treatment concepts that change for the better the way we do rehabilitation.  I know that I will be sharing many of those ideas with my colleagues in the clinic.  I can also tell you that flat feet can be a factor in everything from plantar fasciitis to shin splints to kneecap (patellar) problems to ACL tears.
That hamstring injuries are hard to get over (but you may know that already) and  that we need to be patient and thorough with them because they tend to return.  We also have improved treatment concepts that should help considerably.

And that far too many female athletes are missing important nutrients in their diet.  If there is a major food group that you are excluding from what you eat, you may be jeopardizing your health.
Yep, I'm proof positive that old dogs can learn new tricks.  And if they can't...well, they might as well stay under the porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment