Sunday, June 10, 2012

Exercise for everyone


A physical therapist buddy of mine just recently coached his 240 pound banker through a bike ride that would challenge any of us.   He rode alongside him, encouraging him all along the way, and although it took the two of them a bit long to get there (5 hours and 15 minutes to go 50 miles and climb 5000 feet), there really aren't too many fit/slim people that could make that one.
The photograph of this guy crossing the finish line is awesome.  And it got me to thinking:  There's got to be room for exercising at all levels.

I'm really proud of our local Cherokee CrossFit team that did great in the Regional CrossFit Games, and those individuals are probably the most fit people in our community, but there's got to be a place for everybody else.
 I'm fit but I'm not in their league.

 I do exercise daily but I'm probably not real normal (I just heard my wife say Amen).    I HAVE to exercise.  It's like breathing and eating to me.   Oh, there are days when I'll take a rest day because I've beat my body down but otherwise it's every day, year-round.
If I come across as self-righteous, I'm not.   It just isn't in me not to exercise.  If I come across as hard core, well, yes I am.   But that's what works for me.  It might not work for you.

Regular exercise is an important part of being healthy.  Yet, there has to be a place for that person that really doesn't want to exercise every day.
There has to be a place for that person that prefers a much more casual approach to their exercise program than a 70 mile bike ride, a 10 mile run, or 100 burpees  (trust me, that last one is definitely not for everyone).

You do need to do it right.  I can tell you that there is a lot that I see that just doesn't work.   Sitting on a stationary bicycle, casually pedaling while reading a book probably isn't going to make you fit.   There is a better way of strength training than biceps curls and bench presses.
But the person that is out there regularly, walking to the point of breathing hard, exercising to the point that their heart rate is elevated, has to be respected.  There has to be a place for that person.

My advice if you want to get serious about it?  Seek professional help in the form of a personal trainer that comes recommended by people you trust and who happens to not be the most muscular person in the gym. 
If that personal trainer spends more time trying to impress you with what they know instead of trying to find out where you want to go...well, just say "no thank you" and walk right out the door. 

Whatever you do, find what works for you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment