Sunday, May 26, 2013

You Look Good for 60!

One of my workout buddies, Kenny Wiggins mentioned recently that he really doesn't watch the clock during our workouts  but instead just looks for the "milestones."

Such as "half way through" or "5 minutes to go."   If he watches the clock, it's not as much fun. 
I had a pretty big milestone yesterday:  My 60th birthday.  I haven't been watching that clock:  60 has sort of sneaked up on me.  It really sneaked up on my wife--early this year she suggested maybe we should take a big vacation when I turned 60.  "Uh...honey...that's this year!"

Most people at 60 are starting to look at retirement.  Not me.  Not really.  I have no real plans for retirement.  I've always thought it sad that someone knew the days and minutes until they could finally retire.  I would not have wanted to work at a job that would make me feel that way. 
I'm not sure what I would do in retirement anyway--I enjoy what I'm doing now too much.  My life is complex but not complicated.  I do a lot of things.

I paint, I sing in a quartet, and I ride my bicycle. I dance, but only once in public.  I chase grandbabies.  I paddle a canoe, travel a lot, and raise blueberries, cherries, and blackberries.  I try to grow apples, pears, and peaches but I'm not real good at those.  Still, it doesn't stop me.  Actually, not being real good at something doesn't seem to deter me from trying new things.
I really enjoy sharing in this space with you and plan on writing until the good folks at The Daily Times discover I've truly lost my mind.  It used to be that I was "Joe Black, the physical therapist."  Anymore, I'm "Joe Black, the guy that writes in the newspaper."  That's OK.

I've said many times that I'll quit my job when it stops being fun.  Well, it's still pretty darn fun.  For me, there is nothing like the dynamic of a clinic, particularly one that is truly focused on helping folks and being proactive about health issues.   It is still a thrill to walk into the room of a patient that is there to seek my expertise and guidance.  
It's been a really great 60 years and I would do it again the same way in a heartbeat.  Sure, I've made mistakes (even some really big ones) but the path has led me to a point in life where I'm truly happy, to where I feel I'm the luckiest man in the world, so why would I even change the bad stuff?  I'm pretty sure I've learned from the mistakes I've made and the trials I've been through.

60 really is only a milestone in my life that has now passed.  The clock is ticking and if I don't want to lose sight of what is really important, if I don't want to miss out on living life, I won't be watching the clock.  I'll simply get on with life.
I've got a lot to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment