Sunday, October 6, 2013

Your Perspective Changes

Let me tell you a grandchild story.  Oh, not your usual grandchild story (I hope) about "look at what MY grandchild has done lately."  

I could go there:  I've got six of those creatures.  Grandchildren that is.  7, 6, 4, 3, 2, and 6 months.   Let me tell you about my grandchildren (no, not really).
The three oldest of those (7,6,4) are playing soccer through the soccer program at Parks & Rec.  7 & 6 had played last year but in Knoxville where they lived then.  

I hadn't been on the fields at old Everett High School in a long time, maybe since my son played first soccer and then football there.   They've done a good job of fixing it up--new concession stand, nice bleachers, good fields for play.
But it really hasn't changed that much.  Heck, it hasn't changed that much since 1968 when my high school football team played Everett High in football (Jackie Lefler threw a touchdown pass as time expired to win the game) or when my brother-in-law played in an epic playoff game against Maryville High on that same field in 1975. 

It is most definitely a memorable place, steeped in memories for a lot of people.
So here I was early on a Saturday morning, waiting the start of a game on fields where I had spent many hours.   The Black/Dee entourage was impressive:  Last Saturday we even added my 94 year old mother to the group.  When we lined up the folding chairs (you know the kind), we seemed to reach from end zone to end zone.   It was more like we invaded the place as we settled in to watch whichever child (7,6, or 4) play.

A buddy of mine with grandchildren of his own to watch beat me to the cliché-"it seems like just yesterday that we were here with our own kids."
The week before, we had watched the first game (7) in a driving rain.   4 was up next and he declared that he didn't really want to play in that rain so we left to go eat something.   6's game later that morning was cancelled so the Grandmother and I didn't have to make excuses for our absence.  We were with the 4--we didn't want to stand up out there in all that rain either. 

My goodness the 4 year old may have more sense than all of us anyway.
But last Saturday was gorgeous with sunshine and just enough cool to make it comfortable.   And everyone had the aforementioned folding chairs lined up field side for the spectacle to unfold.

Let me tell you about those kids.   I'm pretty sure 7 won't have a long career in soccer but she sure has fun out there.  Oh, she'll play something.  She's going to be tall and she's already athletic with parents wise enough to let her choose her own path. 
6 is a much better soccer player than we would have thought.   She stole the ball once, dribbled the length of the field and then a fired a shot that just missed the back post (but I wasn't going to go there, was I....)

4 probably won't play a lot of soccer either.   I see more individual sports in his future.  Maybe tennis or something where he doesn't have to hit someone else and for sure someone else doesn't get to hit him.
But the point of all this is that they are out there, moving, running, kicking, having fun.   Basic movement education.   I don't care if they become great soccer players or not.  I'm more interested in them learning how to move their bodies, developing athleticism and love for an active lifestyle.

Now THAT'S what it's all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment