Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Biking at 107

Let's be honest here:   People who exercise regularly are really trying to do one thing--stay young and/or live longer (same thing, really).

Oh, there's a certain part of the population that just wants to look better and spends their gym time looking in a mirror but the way I've always looked at that is that I really don't see much benefit to being a good looking corpse.   Dead is dead and I want to live a long life and be healthy toward the end.  So my exercise program is more focused on being healthy and fit.
As Kenny Chesney says, "I want to go to heaven, just not today."   I want to be like that 107 year old guy on the White House steps yesterday only I want to ride my bike to get to DC for the ceremony. 

It really all started when my dad had his first heart attack when I was 5 years old.   I decided then that I wanted to be like my dad in many ways but that wasn't one of them.   Because of that, I have never really been "out of shape."  Never.  
Sometimes better shape than others but that was only when life got in the way.   A very long time ago, I built exercise and fitness into my lifestyle and have barely waivered since.  

I've often talked about the "how to's."  Today, I want to talk about the "why's."
Exercise so that when you get out of bed in the morning, it doesn't take half an hour to get to the bathroom.  Exercise so that you are less likely to fall as you get older.  That one is huge.  If you're old and you fall, you break stuff.

Exercise so that your weight stays in control.  We know that there a lot of health problems that result from obesity.   Avoid obesity, avoid lots of health problems.
Exercise so that you can enjoy play and tolerate work a whole lot better.   One of the concepts that is extremely difficult to teach is that someone that does manual labor all day still needs to exercise.

I would suggest that it is probably more important that the person whose job is quite physical get regular exercise than it is for most people.   Their job has them do the same thing so they end up strong in only those things that they do on the job.   That creates muscle imbalances that result in injuries.   Trust me...my clinic is full of those people.
If your job is sedentary, you need to exercise.  That one should be more obvious.

I've often said that it is more important for the 40-something to exercise than it is for the 20-something to exercise.   One of the things that comes with aging is a loss of strength.  Exercise helps combat that.
All this becomes much like the oil commercial--pay me now or pay me later.   Either stay fit now or pay the price later.

I've got one fellow who came to me at 89.  His family was telling him that he needed to slow down, that maybe it was time not to do all the things that he does (he leads a VERY active life).   I asked him what he wanted to do and he didn't want to slow down, he wanted to do more.  And continue to do more.
I recommended CrossFit workouts to augment his regular bicycle rides.   Something else might get him but I'm betting that in 10 years he's still doing what he wants to do.

I'm 60 and I understand my limits (most of the time) but I see no reason to hit the easy chair.  There's too much fun stuff out there for that.
Like I said, I want to bike from here to Washington at 107.  And if not, I'll die trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment