Monday, May 5, 2014

Can't Never Did Do Nothing

My dad was not an educated man.  He quit school after the 6th grade to go to work to support his family.  He never quit until his heart wouldn't let him anymore.

When he joined the Navy and headed off to war in 1942, he was the old man on the boat at 29.  His lack of formal education certainly didn't get in the way in the south Pacific.

He always worked hard.  He asked for the nastiest, most dangerous job available at the factory where he spent most of his adult life because it paid more.

My dad was a smart man.  Oh, his handwriting revealed some problems with the written word but make no mistake about it--he was smart.  I often wonder what he could have done with the opportunities that education gives us.  A laywer?  A doctor?  Who knows.

My dad left a legacy of hard work and integrity.  If he said he would do something, he did it.

I was asked recently what I thought my "legacy" would be when I'm gone.  Not that I plan on going anywhere for a long time but it is an intriguing game.

I concluded that there is nothing we can do to determine our legacy for our legacy is really who we are, not what we have done.   A legacy is more than memories and lessons. 

My dad certainly left me great memories.  Camping on Tellico River.  Road trips in the family car before there were interstates.  Gardening.  Beekeeping.  Fishing.

And lessons.   He taught me to always do things the right way.  At 10, building a treehouse in my backyard with him sitting at the base of the tree in a lawn chair, telling me how to do it right because his diseased heart wouldn't allow him to show me. 

But the thing that he used to say that taught me the most, has helped me most profoundly, and rings as loudly today as it did then was this:  "Can't never did do nothing."

That may be his ultimate legacy to me.  Terrible grammar for certain yet he really was a well spoken man.  I think I inherited my dislike of all double negatives from him. 

Can't never did do nothing.  To understand it, you must break it down.  Read it like this-"can't" never did do nothing.  In other words, saying that you can't do something doesn't accomplish anything.  Maybe that's better grammar but the message isn't as good.

Can't never did do nothing.  The message is clear.  Don't quit.  Don't give up.  Don't tell me that you can't do something.  Find a way.  Figure it out.  

Can't never did do nothing.  A quote made for the sports pages.  I think it might be the best message that we can ever give to young athletes.

At my last birthday, my daughter gave me a card that had this:  
    I said, "I can't."  You said, "try again."
    I said "it's too hard."  You said, "don't give up."
    I said "what if I fall."  You said, "I'll be there to catch you."


Don't tell me can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment