Sunday, June 1, 2014

Melt Your Heart

Nobody told me it was going to be this way.  I had no warning about this one.  None at all

What am I talking about?  This whole grandparent thing.  Oh, I was told that being a grandparent is this awesome experience where you can spoil 'em and then send 'em home for their parents to deal with the consequences.

A little hyperactive after too much sugar?   Sure.  Take them to the ice cream shop and then drop them off at their house.

Stay up late to watch cartoons or Frozen for the millionth time?  Sure it messes up their sleep schedules but you don't really have to deal with that.  Leave it up to mom and dad.

Eat their dessert first and skip the green stuff?  No problem.  When their vegetables have to be cleared away before getting anything else at their house, well, that's their parents' problem.

But I was never told that they had the ability to completely melt your heart.  In the blink of an eye.

Let me tell you about one episode.  Like most Saturday mornings, I had been on a bike ride.  My wife, daughter-in-law, and two of my grandkids were waiting for me at a local restaurant.  So I stuck on a hat and hustled over to meet them.

The 3 year old greeted me with her typical "Joesie," screamed loudly in the crowded restaurant.   She does that.  I show up at her house and she runs and screams her name for me like it's been months since I've seen her.  Every time.

And my heart melts every time.  She could get anything in the world from me at that point.

On this particular day, the 1 year old was too busy flirting with the waitresses who thought that he was the cutest thing in the world in his gingham check shirt (and he was).  He really didn't take much notice of me. 

We finished and walked outside and for some reason I took off my hat and the look that I got from the 1 year old was pure gold.  He looked at me and finally recognized me.  His look said clearly "oh...it's you!  I'm so glad to see you!"

The hat and the waitress distractions had thrown him completely off.  And my heart melted once again.

And then there's the oldest.  She's seven.  Rare is the time that she doesn't come running up to me and jumps into my arms because she knows that my reliable arms will always catch her.  I would NEVER fail her or drop her and she knows that.

The day will come when it isn't so cool to go jump into Daddy Joe's arms and that's OK but I hope there is never a day when she doesn't know for sure that I will always be there to catch her.

And then there's the next one, another 7 year old.  Sweet as pie and my little artist.  We love to share art tips and admire each other's work.   It's a special time for us every single time.

Then there is the 4 year old who is the sweetest kid ever.  This kid can get anything in the world he wants from his mom and I.  He just owns your heart when he walks into the room.  Oh, and he's the greatest Lego builder in the history of Lego-land.

And the 3 year old.  He knows no fear (my prediction is that he'll be a bicycle racer and an outside linebacker) but can pour tears in an instant.  Watching what he will become is a blessing I don't want to miss.

So I will continue to skip work and life and my bike rides and certainly chores to be there any time I can.  The grass needs mowing?  Sorry, there's a ballgame.  Report needed?  Sorry, there's a concert.  


Wouldn't have it any other way.  

1 comment: