Sunday, August 10, 2014

It's My Job!

It's been over 5 years now since Blount Memorial Hospital acquired Appalachian Therapy Center, the local rehab center of which I was majority owner.

I've probably said it a million times but BMH bought my practice and then gave me a job doing what I was already doing.  I've been blessed in so many ways for a long, long time and I'm pretty sure that in the long run, this is going to be another one.

My job is technically Manager of Outpatient Rehabilitation.   We have six outpatient offices where we provide a variety of rehabilitation services.  Much of what we do is physical therapy but we also provide services in occupational therapy, speech therapy, athletic training, and massage therapy.

That doesn't even begin to describe what all we do.   When most people think of us, they think about orthopedics and sports.   But we do a lot more, most of which you probably don't know about.  Aquatics, lymphedema, stroke rehab, hand therapy, wound management, cancer rehab, balance and vertigo programs.  These days, lots of rehab following joint replacements.

I'm blessed in that I get to go to work every day and do exactly what I love to do.  See patients, work with sports teams and athletes, work with a great team of clinicians and support staff.  And weekly write this column.  I've been doing it for about 29 years now and it is definitely a labor of love.

I will likely work until it isn't fun anymore or until I can't do the job well anymore.  I've got some key people in my life that have promised to let me know when that latter one happens.  But that's not why I'm writing this. 

I first moved here in 1977.  My first job out of physical therapy school was at Blount Memorial Hospital.  So BMH was my first job after graduation.  I'm pretty sure it's going to be my last.

In 1979, I moved to Bluefield, West Virginia for what I've called a 2 year sabbatical.  I returned to Maryville in 1981 and opened what would later become Appalachian Therapy Center.  I've been here ever since.

I've raised my family here.  My grandchildren are now all here and in local schools.  Even though I'm not a native, I've never been made to feel like an outsider.  This community is in my blood and I'd like to think I am part of the local fabric.

The life that is available to all of our citizens is what brought me here in the first place.  It's the people, the history, the schools...everything.  It's why I've stayed.

A third of the county is in a national park.  How cool is that?

Lakes and rivers form most of the other side of the county.  Everything in between is rolling, pastoral, beautiful.

The people...oh my.  Smart.  Friendly.  Accepting. 

From a health care standpoint, it's amazing what is available here.   Great hospital.  Top flight physicians.  I know them better than almost anybody and I can tell you they are good and smart and worthy.   They take care of me and mine.  Always have.  Always will.   


So today, I ask that you stop and think about how blessed you are to live here...about what a wonderful place this truly is.  Thank you, Blount County, from me and mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment