Sunday, December 14, 2014

Is Joe 40 or 80?

This was on one of my favorite cartoons the other day (which is where I turn as soon as the sports page is finished):  "We're not as dumb as it seems.  We're not as smart as we think."

Seems pretty simple, huh.   For some reason, it made me think of teenagers.

I deal with teenagers every day.  In a lot of respects, it is my favorite demographic.  I like the idea that maybe I can help somebody become a better adult.  A better parent or partner. 

Many times, I have commented how my work with these teenagers helps keep me young.

In Coach Derek Hunt's health class recently, a discussion about physical therapy led to my name being mentioned.  It turns out that I have had a lot of those class members as patients at one time or another.

The discussion turned to speculation about how old I might be.  Guesses ranged from 40 to 80.  I know better than  to be complimented by the 40 or deflated by the 80.  The real number (61) lies smack dab in the middle and means that collectively they were right on the money.

I believe their guesses have more to do with the fact that I've been around here for a long, long time.

I first arrived in 1977 when I took my first physical therapy job at Blount Memorial Hospital.  Two years later, I left for West Virginia.  In 1981, I returned to Maryville and opened my private practice.

I've always been interested in sports medicine. I had been an athlete since my earliest days and had decided on physical therapy as a career while in college and trying to decide whether to be a football coach or a doctor.  Physical therapy seemed the perfect blend of the two.

The first Athletic Trainer at Maryville College was Mike Sabatelle.  He and I shared a vision for athletic health care in this area.  My first game on the sidelines at MHS was in 1982 which means that this year was my 33rd year on those same sidelines.

I've seen a lot in those 33 years.  From the '84 MHS team that should have won it all to the '85 and '86 Heritage High teams that were certainly good enough to do the same (and almost did).

The 1987 Greenback team that won a state championship was special as was the 1989 AHS team that also won it all.   I've been on the sidelines for all of those.

And then you have the twin city dynasties that Maryville and Alcoa have created.  Yep, great memories all around the block. 

I mentioned last week about a player on the opposing team in a varsity football game that had a concussion and his parents were nowhere to be found.  There was another player in the same game that tore his ACL.  Same story--no parents in attendance.

I don't see much room for an excuse there anyway.  Our children are our biggest responsibility.

I also saw this quote recently:  "Your child's success or lack of success in sports does not indicate what kind of parent you are.  But having an athlete that is coachable, respectful, a great teammate, mentally tough, resilient, and tries their best IS a direct reflection of your parenting."


That pretty much sums it up.   

No comments:

Post a Comment