Sunday, February 8, 2015

Super Bowl Commercials

Like everybody else, I watched the Super Bowl for the commercials.  Well...not really...but they sure do make bathroom breaks difficult. And just like every other office in town, my office compared notes on Monday morning about which commercial was the best.

My vote going for the Dodge commercial featuring a bevy of centenarians.  It consisted of words of wisdom from those 100 years old and older.  Among the advice were the following (adapted especially for the sports pages):

Learn from your mistakes.  That makes sense.  It's often been said that we need to practice smarter.  Practicing wrong is simply practicing to repeat the wrong.  Good coaches are invaluable in this process.

Live for now.  We're not promised tomorrow.  I've often heard coaches tell their players to enjoy their games, that it will pass too soon.  Being in the injury business, I can tell you that many seasons are ended by injuries.  Enjoy every moment.

There are miracles all around you.  1969 Mets.  Doug Flutie's Hail Mary pass.  The 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team's victory over Russia.  T.D. Blackman's block of a field goal.

Be strong.  Well, yeah.  But it's not always your muscles.  Sometimes it is your character.  How do you behave in the face of adversity?  How do you respond when the odds are stacked against you?  What do you do when the other team scores 28 points in the first period?

Don't complain.  Just shut up and play.  I've seen a lot of games.  I mean...a LOT of games.  Basketball.  Football.  Baseball.  Football.  Volleyball.  Wrestling.  Track.  You name it--my resume is full of it.

So let me tell you some of the things I've learned in all these years.  Coaches that don't play your kid are not trying to harm your child's future.  Officials that make the call that goes against your team late in the game are not just trying to make sure your team loses. 

The other team is not _______ (dirty, cheating...your choice).  They are individuals just like you are.  They want to win just like you do.  And no, God is not on your side, so praying for a victory is a waste of time.  He has lots more important things to do.

Never ever forget where you came from.  If you're on top, remember what got you there (effort, practice, dedication, coaches, teammates, a great support system).  Most of the time, your success depends less on you and more on everything around you. 

Keep your eyes open and your mouth shut.  I never was a trash talker.  I don't really understand why anyone has to talk so much during a game.  I've been called an old fuddy-duddy (yeah, I really said that) for that opinion but my advice for those that talk too much: Shut up and play the game.

Don't be a sissy.  OK...that one's way too sexist for me.   But what they're really trying to tell you is don't be soft.  Don't whine.  Play hard.  Give it all you've got.  It sort of reminds me of my other favorite Super Bowl commercial which talked about running like a girl.  Ain't no such thing.

Don't be afraid.  Never.  Ever. 


And then there was that Budweiser puppy thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment