Monday, March 16, 2015

Saying Thanks

I was talking just this week with one of the best men Blount County has produced.  I'll not identify him here (I prefer to stay on the good side of federal law) but let's just say that his surgical skills were legendary.

He called me over and said "Joe, I've got a column idea for you.  Have you ever thought about writing a column about how people ought to express their appreciation, their gratitude more often?"

I decided then and there that it was definitely worthy of a column.

Some of you may recall the story of how my high school football coach  was such a great influence on me.  In a nutshell, I was an underachieving high school sophomore when I overheard him tell another teacher at my school "if he works at it, he can be a good one."

My work ethic after that became if not legendary, at least of  epic proportions when compared to the freshman Joe Black.  In other words, I decided to get to work.  I haven't stopped since.

And it all goes back to that high school football coach. 

Have I taken the opportunity to tell him how much I appreciated him?  Oh yeah.  Many times.  Every chance I get, really.

When I was inducted into the Blount County Sports Hall of Fame, I invited him to come.  Much to my surprise, he came. 

I hope you don't take it as any disrespect for the Hall of Fame, it is a tremendous honor and I am proud to be a member, but the greater honor was the presence of my high school football coach.  Such was the esteem that I held for him. 

But you know what...that sort of thing happens all the time. Coaches, teachers, and others shape the lives of young people every day.  

It probably happens more often for coaches, since they get our attention so thoroughly.   It is part of the job and even the reason a lot of coaches get into the business anyway. 

I mean, don't we all want to make a difference? 

Another person that had a lot of influence on my was a high school English teacher at my school.  It's not unfair to say that until I got in his class, English was not my best subject.  I've also said here before that there are English teachers galore rolling over in their graves that I've written a newspaper column for 29 years.

But he changed all that.  He stirred those creative fires.  He broadened my horizons.  His impact on my life was much more subtle than the football coach.  It took me years to truly appreciate what he had done for me.

I had never had much opportunity to tell him how much I appreciated his influence on me until we sat near each other at a Clayton Center concert last year.  I didn't pass on that opportunity. 

So how about you?  Is there a teacher or coach or other person that was a positive influence on your life?  Have you taken the opportunity to tell them about it?  To tell them how much you appreciate them?

Don't miss any opportunity that you might have.  Those opportunities diminish as the years go by.


And to that much-loved doctor:  Let me say how much I appreciate the professionalism and dedication that you displayed for so many years in this community.  You set standards that everyone in health care should aspire to.  You have certainly been a role model for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment