Sunday, June 28, 2015

HOPE

I know I usually write about sports.  But this has nothing to do with sports.  Not even remotely.

And if there is any comparison, any hint that this has anything to do with sports, that's a mistake.

By now everybody is aware of the tragedy in Charleston last week.  It was horrible.  Unthinkable really.

I won't rehash the particulars--you've heard about them all.

But what moved me...moved me to tears, actually...was what the family members of those slain had to say directly to the killer. 

"I forgive you."

"God loves you."

"You hurt a lot of people but God forgives you, and I forgive you."

Just days after he had gunned down their family members.  People that were in church on a Wednesday evening.  Senior citizens, mostly.

A state senator who also served as a pastor at the church. 

Good people all, I guarantee you.  You don't find many bad people worshipping on Wednesday night.

And then their families showed more love and grace and forgiveness than most of us can muster up in a lifetime.

I couldn't have done what they did.

Think about it.  Within days of this horrific event, the family members had already forgiven the young man.  Invited him back into their church.

Not me.

Not in 6 weeks.  Probably not in 6 months.   While the shock is still an open wound, to offer forgiveness without hesitation or reservation?

At that same moment, I'm wanting justice.  Demanding punishment.  Just let me get my hands on him!

Those people are so much better than me that I am humbled just to know they are part of the same human race that I am and thrilled because they offer hope for a stricken land.


Yes, there is hope.  Hope for a better day.  Hope for an end to racism and violence.  Hope that America can truly become a land where all men are treated as equals.  That no one is judged by the color of their skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment