Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Dealing with the Heat (for the umpteenth time)

Between bike rides, hiking, gardening, farming, and football practice, if I'm not at work (or asleep), I'm outside.  Because of that, I sport a pretty good tan year round

And it's not for lack of sunscreen.  Goodness knows, I slather it on heavy and often.

Still, it's never quite enough.

So I visit my dermatologist every year and depend on him to take good care of me. 

With football practice in full swing this week, it's time for me to offer my sort-of annual address on dealing with the heat.  I think this is the umpteenth time I've done so.

Yet, the basic message stays the same. 

Hydrate.  Early and often.  Pre-hydrate even.  If you know you're going to be out in the heat, start drinking fluids.

On the bicycle, you don't feel like you are sweating that much since the constantly moving air keeps most of the sweat evaporated away.  But that just means that your body's cooling system it is doing its job.

Proof of that is found when you get off the bike and find that you are crusty with salt.

Sports drinks are good.  Water is good.  Sodas are bad.  I find most sports drinks a little too sweet so I make my own or dilute it a bit.  Still, the electrolytes in most sports drinks mean that they are absorbed into your system more quickly.

And those electrolytes are essential.  They must be replaced. 

It's always good to check the color of your urine when you are exercising or working in hot weather.  

It should be a pale yellow.  Anything more and you didn't get enough fluids in your system. 

Wear clothing that is both reflective (lighter, brighter colors) and allows air to circulate.  Loose fitting clothing is usually the best but there are some great high tech products out there that fit tight but offer improved evaporation. 

If possible, avoid the hottest part of the day.  Yeah...I know...easy to say-hard to do.  Try your best.

Take breaks.  Wear a hat.  Stay wet. 

If you are exercising in the heat, it's best to have a buddy.  One important sign that you are having problems in dealing with the heat is confusion.  A buddy can see that in you and can intervene.

Heat illness is serious stuff.  It can kill you.

Excess sweating, red face, labored breathing, weakness, nausea--all those are signs that you are having serious problems in dealing with the heat.  Seek shelter, get wet, get cool however you can.  

Immersion in cold weather is your best path.

If you are confused, stop sweating, or have cool, clammy skin, you are in the middle of a medical emergency and need to get an ambulance as soon as possible.

You don't have to stay inside the rest of the summer.  You just need to be smart about it.


Be safe.  Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment