Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Concussion, The Movie

I saw the movie "Concussion" last week. I wasn't real sure I wanted to see it.  My wife and I headed to the theater without having made the choice between two movies that happened to be showing at the same time. 

It was only as I stepped up to buy the tickets that I realized why I had been reluctant to see "Concussion."

If you don't know the story behind the movie, it's about Dr. Bennett Omalu, a forensic pathologist in Pittsburgh who had discovered that concussions in the NFL were causing huge, long-term mental problems for former players.

It all started with the Steelers' legendary center Mike Webster, who was found in his truck, dead at 50 from what Dr. Omalu discovered was cognitive dysfunction likely due to concussions suffered during his NFL career.

Dr. Omalu called this disorder Chronic Traumatic Encephalopthy.  To say that the NFL was not real thrilled with these findings is putting it mildly.  And there is the rest of the story (which I'll leave for the movie).

I know all about concussions.  I deal with them routinely.   It's part of my job.

What I feared about this movie was that it would just be a big attack on the game that I love.  The game that I played, that changed my life (for the better) forever.  The game that my son played.  The game that is a big part of my life and which has been so very good to me.

What I also feared about this movie was that it would be medically incorrect.  My wife will tell you--I refuse to watch any kind of medical show on television.  The liberties that those shows take with facts just blows my mind. 

So I'll cut to the chase.  I had nothing to fear.  "Concussion" addressed a very real problem in sports, that being concussions.  But we've known this for a while.  It's why we take them so seriously.  More on that in a minute.

"Concussion" was amazingly accurate from a medical standpoint. 

I know Dr. Omalu's work and his story.  I know the research.  I LIVE the research.  This movie was true to the research and true to Dr. Omalu's story. 

Football can be a graceful, amazing sport that can provide incredible life lessons.  It can be life changing in many good and positive ways.    But we know that concussions are a problem and cannot be taken lightly.  The long term effects demand our full attention.

And we know that concussions are a problem in lots of sports, not just football.  It's why we focus so much attention on concussion recognition, treatment, and very careful return to sports participation. 

All of our schools have athletic trainers whose job is to know how to deal with concussions and coaches who understand what needs to be done.  We are blessed around here.  Not every place is so lucky.

For all those that still think that you just need to get tough and play through getting "your bell rung," this one's for you.


Go see the movie.  It's a good one.  

1 comment: