Sunday, April 3, 2016

The "R" Word

As I fast approach my 63rd year, the "R" word keeps popping up. "When are you going to Retire?"

Uh...never?  (Well, maybe that's not quite true.  But I don't have  plans to retire any time soon.) You see, I'm one of those increasingly rare birds--I actually look forward to going to work.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday finds me in the Total Rehabilitation clinic at Cherokee.  Tuesday and Thursday are reserved for those management responsibilities that make my job sound more important than it really is.  We have excellent managers at all of our clinics and the title "Manager of 
Outpatient Rehabilitation" requires less time than I want too many people to know.

Yep, when the alarm clock goes off in the morning, I spring from bed (sort of), excited for what the day may hold for me.  People come see me in pain or having had surgery or with an injury or disability and are there for me to help them get better.  And then I get to be on the MHS football sidelines. 

Nope, not gonna mess with that gig.

I even heard from one of the doctors that refer us patients.  His comment to one of my colleagues:  "I didn't know Joe was still seeing patients."

Uh...yeah.

Don't get me wrong, I love my life at home.  I've got my small farm set up just like I want it.  
Blueberries.  Blackberries.  Cherries. Apples.  Raspberries.  Raised beds.  A re-built barn.  Plans to put out a lot of Black Walnut trees.  And maybe even a vineyard.

And oh my goodness do I look forward to getting home to my wife each and every day.  My children and grandchildren may be the light of my life but my wife is my rock. 

I have lots of interests outside work.  Besides my bicycle, I travel, paint, write (obviously), garden, hike, and paddle my canoe around.  I'm active in my professional associations and teach at seminars from time to time.

The retirement thing probably came up more often on that recent mountain bike trip I took out west.  I was with my buddy Dr. Ken Bell who recently retired and I had always said that when he retired it would make it hard for me to continue to work. 

Well, it has, but I'm still not ready. 

And why do we retire anyway?   Do we retire because we're "supposed to?"  Is there a certain age where we are expected to be thinking about retirement?

A lot of the candidates for President are at an age where most others are thinking of retirement.  Clinton is 68.  Trump is 69.  Sanders is 74.  Cruz is a youthful  45. I think I'm just getting started!

Is there something that you always wanted to do and work always got in the way?  Could be time to retire.  Are you tired of doing the same job?  Could be time to look for something else to do.  A lot of people look completely out-of-the-box and find something that they could only dream of doing.

I suppose I could be a fly-fishing guide (but then I'm not really very good at it).  Or a bicycling guide (although I'm already doing that a bit right now).  But no, I'm gonna stay at it.  When it stops being fun, maybe then I'll retire.  But I'm having too much fun right now.


As long as that holds true, you know where you can find me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment