Sunday, January 8, 2017

Keeping It Real


Gyms everywhere are packed right now.  I heard one report of a two hour wait for a treadmill (not really).  I suppose it's all those New Year's resolutions that I dismissed so quickly last week.

The truth is that January is the busiest month in most fitness centers.  In an attempt to finally lose that 20 pounds that you needed to lose for so long and finally get in shape and eat right and all that, you might have joined a gym and started sweating.

OK.  Whatever it takes.  But remember--the key is to make the DECISION to change your health habits.  My point last week is that it ISN'T a resolution but it IS a conscious decision, a dedicated commitment to change your life.

So this week, I want to make it real.  I want to give real life advice about how to take that committed January and make it a do-able project to change your lifestyle.

First off, it's OK to miss a workout.  That's a concept that I had trouble with for a lot of years.  Keep in mind, I usually exercise 7 days a week.  It's built into my schedule.  I have a routine that I've followed for a long time. 

Bike rides on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday.  Intervals on the trainer on Wednesday.  CrossFit workouts on Monday and Friday.  Some stretching/yoga  on most days.  A little extra core strengthening when I can work it in.

Lately, I've added some balance training to my regime.  I'm 63 but feel a whole lot younger.  But a little incident at our office Christmas party where I stumbled and fell against a wall (long story and I was stone cold sober) told me that my balance was deteriorating.

All that was confirmed when I watched a video of the Polar Plunge group that jumped into the Townsend Wye on New Year's Day.  At the back of the group was this old geezer, carefully stepping into the river.

Oh...and that old geezer was me.  Ain't what I used to be for sure.

If the candles on your birthday cake resemble a small bonfire, it's probably time for you to work on your balance too.  It doesn't have to be terribly sophisticated.  Stand on one leg.  Close your eyes.  Swing your arms.  Switch it out.  Stand on a soft surface like a pillow.  On one leg.

Through the years, I've come to realize that it's OK to miss a workout.  I missed a big ride last weekend in order to attend the birthday party of a grandson.  I'll make that trade any day.  The way I figure it, my plan is to exercise 365 days a year.  He only turns 7 once.

Goodness gracious, make it fun.  Sometimes you have to train and sometimes you have to hurt but if you dread each and every workout, you won't stick with it.  Find what it is that you can enjoy and build your fitness regime around that.

Plan for it.  You plan to eat.  You plan to sleep.  You set your clock in order to get up in time to get to work on time.  Then plan for your exercise program.  Know when you go to bed tonight when you are going to get in your workout tomorrow.

While you're at it, plan what you're going to eat.  It's a proven fact that doing that keeps you from overeating and eating crap.  And you don't have to buy expensive, all-organic foods.  Just buy stuff that has a single word name and you'll be fine. 

Getting fit doesn't have much to do with a big biceps or riding 70 miles or any of that stuff.  It has everything to do with just moving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment