Sunday, March 5, 2017

Sports Injuries Summarized


I've been on a bit of a theme lately.  What I would consider to be the pillars for success at sports and life.  Hard work.  Integrity.  Focus.

So before my Favorite Person tells me I should get back to writing about athletic injuries and stuff like that, I'm going to go there on my own.  I mean, that is what I do and probably what I know best.

Let's talk about concussions (everyone else is...we might as well join them). Concussions are a real concern.  They simply cannot be taken lightly.  The long term effects are too serious.

For high school athletes here, we do ImPACT testing pre-season on as many as we can.  That gives us a baseline on brain function and helps us make better decisions.  Beyond that, we treat every blow to the head that results in symptoms as a concussion until convinced otherwise. 

Before anybody can go back to their sport after having had what appears to have been a concussion, they must first have medical clearance, pass cognitive testing, pass balance testing, and then go through a series of activities and exercises, basically simulating their sport in a monitored environment.  And they have to do that without any of their symptoms coming back.

And knee injuries.  If your knee hurts, you really need a proper diagnosis.  I've seen too many cases of self-diagnosis where delay in getting proper treatment was a big mistake.   See the experts.

Ankle injuries?  Ice and protection.  Ankle injuries are easily the most common sports injury.  Usually the foot goes in and the ankle hurts on the outside. 

Shoulder problems?  A big part of it is probably your posture.  Every single day, I see patients with shoulder injuries.  And almost every one of them has some postural component.  We call it "inturned" shoulders.

When you stand up, are your hands in front of your body?  That comes from your shoulders.  A big part of it is the world we live in.  Everything we do is in front of us.  Computers.  Driving.  On and on.

Neck hurts? Again, heavily influenced by posture.  I saw a photo of myself from the side this week.  Oh my...I've got to work on my posture.

TMJ problems?  Go to a soft diet and see a dentist or oral surgeon that knows something about the TMJ.

Shin splints?  It's probably your feet.  Really.  Foot problems that increase the impact forces of running are the most likely culprit.  Correct the way the foot hits the ground and you fix the problem.

Hip pain?  Again, you need a good diagnostic workup.  It can be so many things.  See your orthopedist.  Don't wait too long on this one.

Elbow hurts when you throw?  You need an athletic trainer to look at your throwing motion.

Hand or fingers numb or tingly?  Could be coming out of your neck.  Get it checked.

Wheezing when you exercise?  Asthma.  Very treatable.   I do seem to see too many athletes with bronchodilators (inhalers), claiming asthma.  Those things should not be used for performance enhancement.  I'm afraid that's what's happening too often.

Above all else, trust your body, seek professional help, don't ignore warning signs, and don't turn to the internet for medical advice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment