Thursday, April 6, 2017

Eat That Burger!


My wife and I were sitting around, the NCAA Men's tournament was on TV, it's about 8 o'clock but I had my computer cranked up and was working (I'm always working, according to some) but then a burger commercial came on.  We had eaten a rather early dinner so when I saw that burger, I said to my wife "I could SO eat a burger right now."

Keep in mind that I don't eat many burgers.  I eat smart most all the time.  So we decide on which burger we really want and leave the house, now well after 8 PM to go get a burger.  We talk and laugh and consider how silly it is to be headed out this late just for a burger.

We talk about retirement and grandkids and all those things that people that have been married 40+ years and still like each other talk about.

And then the next morning I skip my workout (not to sleep in, mind you) and I'm OK with it.  That's unusual in that I'm usually most certainly NOT OK with missing a workout.

But you know what--I was OK with all of it.  It was very much outside my normal routine.  Those that know me know that I'm dedicated.  Dedicated to a healthy lifestyle.  Dedicated to a variety of pursuits.  Doggedly persistent.

And that's my point for today.  Life is meant to be enjoyed.  We are blessed with a beautiful, interesting, mysterious world and we owe it to ourselves to be in it.

I know one person that wouldn't let a gram of fat pass her lips if her life depended on it (it might, but not the way she thinks).  Not me.  I'm not afraid.

I admit that I don't really tolerate idle time well.  I have a friend whose idea of the perfect beach vacation is to pull a chair to the edge of the water and read a book.  All day. 

Not me.  I need to be doing things.  Paddleboarding.  Snorkeling.  Building sandcastles.  Chasing grandkids.  Do I enjoy it more?  Maybe.  I feel like I'm immersed in the experience rather than sitting  watching it pass by.

I spend a lot of my time around teenagers.  Teenage athletes mostly.  Right now, a lot of them are experiencing "senior-itis," ready for their senior year of high school to be in the rearview mirror.  I caution them not to let a moment go by without savoring that moment.

Just can't stand to sit in one more high school classroom?  College, for all its glories, is still harder.  Those high school teachers will work hard to hold you accountable in the classroom.  In college, not so much. 

Much later, when you're reminiscing about your favorite teachers, you probably won't think about a college professor.  (You'll probably remember that teacher that believed in you.)  No disrespect for college professors, their job is simply different.

Still in sports?  Practice seem hard and goes on forever?  Can't help you much there.  Just take it from someone that has been in that place many times over many years--it's OK.  You will wish for those days again one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment