Monday, June 26, 2017

Do The Little Things


I listened this week as Clemson Coach Dabo Swiney addressed his team at The White House.  Always inspiring and never boring, Coach Swiney talked about the "little things" that he asked his football team to do.

Obviously it has worked for them.  They were almost there last year and this year won the NCAA National Championship.  You might know that I'm a pretty big fan:  My son played football at Clemson and they treated him very, very well.

But it got me to thinking about those little things and what all our athletes might do to in that category to improve their chances for success. The littlest of those little things that I could think of was tying your shoes. 

Several years ago, football players were turning their socks down over their shoes.  It was really strange and then they would tape them to the front of their shoes. 

I didn't like it then and I don't like it now.  Today, I would refuse to let a player take the field like that.  Then, it was argued that it was a matter of self-expression and...well...what could be the harm.  I caved.

Let me digress a bit.  I don't let my football players "spat" their shoes.  Spatting is when you put athletic tape all around your ankle and shoe.  The problem is that it does nothing good. 

It doesn't protect the ankle.  It doesn't keep the shoe on better.  And it sure does get in the way if they have an ankle injury and I need to get down to the skin to examine the ankle.

So why do they do it?  They see the college and pro players doing it.  Don't get me started on why the pros might do it.  They will do anything that they think might give them an edge.  Anything.

Those football players should hardly be your role model for game preparation.  Check under the category of PED's (Performance Enhancing Drugs) if you want an explanation for that. 

So back to that sock over the shoe thing.  The season when it was all the rage (and I was privately seething about it), we were in the semi-finals.  Now I must tell you that I had argued that it was a bad idea primarily because it made your shoes slippier.

Guess what happens in that semi-final game?  We are ahead and only have to stop a final drive to win the game.  Our defensive back (one of those sock-puller-downers) slips, falls down, the other team throws across the top, and wins the game. 

Think one of my kids ever had their socks pulled down over their shoes again?  Oh goodness no.  Never. 

So use your uniform like it is meant to be used.  Tie your shoes.  And learn to tie them in a way that secures your shoe to your foot and allows you to perform at your best.

Other little things?  I've probably rambled about that sock thing too long.  But eating right means everything.  And it's not just the pre-game meal.  How you fuel yourself everyday affects how you practice and play.

I do have a problem with kids that adorn their uniform with everything except fringe and tassels.  I've seen athletes spend more time putting on all their sweatbands and pads here and there...why it's like a teenager getting ready for the prom.

Put on your uniform--it's what it's made for--and go play the game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment