Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Avoiding Skin Cancer


When I sit down to write in this space, most of the time I write about what's running around in my brain at that moment.  Something always seems to pop up that leads to a column. Things I see in our community.  Most often something to do with sports. Sometimes it's more what's on my heart. 

I try not to focus on my own personal story.  You probably know too much about me anyway.  I know I wrote about my own headaches last week but my point was really that if you have headaches that persist or are somehow different you should seek medical attention.

But sometimes my experiences might help you understand where you are in your own path to good health.  I had more of that this past week. 

Let me explain.  Last week, I underwent a dermatology procedure called Blue-light therapy.  Also known as Photodynamics, it is a treatment for precancerous lesions. 

If you've paid attention, you know that I advocate visiting your dermatologist on a regular basis.  You also know that I encourage everyone to take care of their skin.  Unfortunately, we don't do that very well.  Lots of sports are outside, exposing athletes to lots of sun.

But the sun takes its toll.  And usually the problems aren't revealed for many years.  Those spots that we might call age spots or sun spots? If left untreated, about 10% of them can turn into a type of skin cancer called Squamous Cell Carcinoma. 

What you might also not know is that a lot of cancer that is found elsewhere starts with skin cancer.   Unchecked cancers on the skin can metastasize to the different organs in your body.  It happens too often.

The good news is that most of it is preventable.  Early detection and removal offers a great deal of control of skin cancers.  It's why you should see a dermatologist.  Regularly.  They will likely perform a full body scan and make note of any suspicious looking spots or lesions.

Maybe a lesion doesn't need to be removed right then but it might need watching.  Removal in the early stages is usually quick and easy.  Some lesions can even be frozen off.

I happen to be at high risk for skin cancer since I am outside so much.  Yardwork/Farmwork.  Football practice that begins in July and lasts until December.  Lots of time on the bike.  It seems like I'm working, sleeping, or outside.

All that exposure to the sun takes its toll on my skin.  I use sunscreen frequently but not frequently enough.  So after removing several lesions, my dermatologist recommended that I go through this Blue-Light thing.

I'll spare you the details but the treatment is effective.  Oh sure, it wasn't fun for a couple of days.  I had a rather severe sunburn the next day and my skin is still peeling off but it was definitely worth it.

The bottom line is to protect your skin.  Use sunscreen liberally and often.  Cover up.  Wear a hat.  A "healthy tan" isn't healthy at all.  Protect your skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment