Wednesday, July 24, 2019

What kind of role model are you?


There’s this fellow that works out in our gym. He’s one of the regulars. One morning recently, he brought his young son in with him. I’m guessing the boy is about 7.

I had met the fellow and spoke to him in passing from time to time.  I knew where he worked and knew his boss. I knew he was sort of quiet. I had plenty of reason to think that his health was important to him. He worked hard in the gym.

But I had no idea he was a dad. It shouldn’t have been much of a surprise. But it was completely outside the context in which I knew him.

This kid was a little blonde-haired cutie. Dad showed him around a bit and then settled the kid into a chair that the boy had carefully placed. I thought it was pretty cool for the boy to watch his dad in a vigorous workout and smiling while he was doing so.

I found myself watching this youngster watch his dad. And what came into my head was what a great example this young father is giving his son.

We know that active children become active adults. If we’re really going to solve the childhood obesity problem, then we’ve got to get our children more active. Less TV. Healthier food. An active lifestyle.

There is little doubt that electronic devices can be the enemy of an active lifestyle. Hand held devices may be worse than TV because of the postures they promote (think head bent forward).

Frankly, mom and dad, it starts at home. I happen to believe that obesity is not so much genetic as it is learned. And most of those lessons come from our parents.

I’m not talking about strength training and daily visits to the gym. I’m talking about just being active. I might define it as the anti-sedentary lifestyle.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, if it is fun, they will not only work harder but they will get more out of it. I’ll admit that some of my miles slogging it out on a road bike are not always fun but put me on a sweet single-track trail on my mountain bike and the effort fades away.

It is never enough to simply send your kids outside to “play.” They will quickly get bored. Give them some options but more importantly, be a role model for them. Do stuff with them.

It can be anything from flying a kite to a walk in the woods. Wading in the Little River at the Y. Climbing on the equipment at Sandy Springs Park. Playing catch in the back yard. Swimming off Louisville Point Park. Walking up to the Lookout Tower at Look Rock.

Horseback riding. Cycling on the bike trail in Townsend. Paddling on the Little Tennessee River below Chilhowee Dam. Hiking the many miles of trail in the Smokies.

Sitting in a car driving around Cades Cove doesn’t really count unless you get out and hike a bit. Add a side trip to Abrams Falls and you’ve got a healthy excursion. Neither is cruising around the lake in a motor boat, unless you are being pulled behind it.

Whether you like it or not, little eyes are watching you. All the time. Little kids, especially, just want to grow up to be like mom or dad. What kind of role model are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment