Monday, October 30, 2023

Don't be a Jerk

 


Not too long ago, there was a Letter to the Editor of the local newspaper complaining about a bicycle rider on the Greenbelt that frightened a walker (she fell).  Apparently, this rider didn’t stop to check on them either.

Let me say first that I wasn’t there, and I know there are often two sides to every story.  With that being said, the behavior described by the writer was totally unacceptable.

Once, years ago, I wrote that I didn’t think bicycles belonged on the Greenbelt. I was advocating for bike lanes. It was pointed out to me rather quickly that the original grant for the Greenbelt was engineered by the bike riders as a way to bike-commute around our cities. In other words, we have the bicyclists to thank for our Greenbelt.

I’ve had many arguments about bicycles on roads but the fact remains that it is legal in Tennessee to be on most roads. That doesn’t mean that it smart to ride most roads, just that it’s legal. There are certain roads that just aren’t safe for bicycles. Anywhere in town. Montvale Road, Morganton Road, Old Niles Ferry, and others—until you get way out in the county.

There aren’t really many roads with a shoulder adequate for bicycle riders, and even when you find them, they might narrow down quickly to no shoulder at all. And all the glass and debris on the shoulder guarantees a flat.

I don’t know a single road cyclist that has not been threatened or harassed by someone in a motorized vehicle. Lots of folks simply hate everyone on a bicycle, despite the fact that we are spouses and parents and somebody’s child.

So we have a dilemma—the walkers don’t want us on the Greenbelt and the cars don’t want us on the road.

It used to be that you could ride out in the country. South Blount County and Rocky Branch have always been favorites of mine. But now, there is so much development that traffic even in some of our most remote areas is intolerable.

And with increased traffic, you get more harassment. Too many people see a bicycle on the road and embrace their worst behaviors. A group I was with one time got harassed by a man in a truck bearing the markings of a local business. The problem was that we were riding according to the law (no more than two abreast, riding toward the right side of the lane) and this guy had plenty of room to pass.

For whatever reason, he felt compelled to dog-cuss us for being on his (expletive deleted) road. I wanted to tell him that it is likely that I pay far more in taxes to use these roads than he does. I did and I still do.

I’ve always ridden with a group of riders, knowing that there was some safety in numbers. But because of the traffic and trucks and some other issues, I’m not riding much on the roads.

It’s sad, really. I have great memories of riding with a cadre of friends on remote and scenic roads. Road biking in a group is a special event. You are really working together as a team to help each other, draft off of each other, and ride safely.

Oh, I’m still on the bike. A lot. But it’s mostly mountain biking now, which is really a return to my roots. I was a mountain biker before I had my first real mountain bike. Heck, go back far enough and you would find me riding the streets of downtown Memphis while my wife took our only car to work.

But back to that guy that (allegedly, but probably) ran the lady off the Greenbelt. I still insist that the Greenbelt is not the place for serious bikers. We’re just going too fast. But for casual riders, it is a great place to ride and I will fight for their right to do so.

You will even find me on it from time to time. My 10 year old grandson loves to ride it on Sunday afternoon. And if you haven’t been on the segment from Alcoa Elementary School to Clayton, then you have missed out. It is spectacular.

But use common sense and courtesy on the Greenbelt. It is no place to race or even go fast. As you approach walkers, well before you get to them gently call out “on your left,” and slow down as you pass.

And if you do happen to frighten someone, please stop, apologize, and help them. People tend to put all bikers into the same pot so that person might hate me because you were a jerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment