Monday, April 8, 2024

The Best Exercise You Can Do

 


I know, I know.  You’ve heard it from me before. Too many times, I’m sure. But you know what they say—you’ve got to hear something 7 times before it really sinks in.

OK. Here it is. “The best exercise is the one you will do.” You can quote me on that. I mean, it seems simple enough.  Anything is better than nothing, right?

It really doesn’t matter what you do, just as long as you do it. Jogging, lifting, paddling, hiking, walking. Tennis, biking, paddleboarding, and yes, even pickleball.

It helps to find your why. Good health? Better fitness? Solving those aches and pains? If you know your why, you will find your way. Oh, there are the gym rats who really need no motivation. They can’t go a day, much less a week, without exercising. I fall into that category.

I don’t know if it is physical need, mental need, or just a habit. I do know that there have been times when my wife would tell me to go get on the bike, that it was obvious that I needed to release some energy.

I honestly believe that my mental health is tied to regular exercise. And there is research to support that proposition.

It’s particularly true on the mountain bike. I can be having a really bad day (yeah, I get those too) and can go hop on the bike and all the cares and problems fade away.

Part of that is the distraction. If you’re flying down a singletrack on a mountain bike, you really can’t be thinking about anything else. It demands your full attention. Let you mind wander and BOOM, you’re down.

It has a way of cleansing your mind. The problems that I had when I climbed on the bicycle don’t seem as bad when I get off. That vacation from worries definitely helps.

This week, a friend and I were discussing his difficulty sleeping. He’s having some health problems and his pain seems more intense at night. And he has a lot on his mind these days.

I told him about a get-to-sleep trick I’ve been using for years. If I’m having trouble getting to sleep, I play basketball. In my head.

I played basketball most of my life. Into my 50’s, I was still playing in pickup games. Tuesday and Thursday at Maryville College. Sunday evenings at Maryville High. I would still be playing but my knees won’t let me.

In my imaginary games, I’m all the things I never was on the real court. Good at defense. Make every shot. Even block a shot every once in a while. In my mind, I’m making all the moves that I thought I used to be good at. And the next thing I know, the morning alarm is going off.

My point in all this is that you can use your exercise program to relieve the stresses of the day. You can’t tell me that a walk in Jarvis Park won’t bring you some peace. It’s guaranteed. Or putting a lot of effort into the exercise of your choice.

It’s also beyond argument—daily exercise improves your health. We all know that. We know what we’re supposed to do, we just don’t always do it.

So, here’s the deal. Find something you enjoy doing. And go do it.

Yes, you do need to do some strength training as you get older (and younger if you’re playing competitive athletics) and it always helps to stretch daily. But if you enjoy it, you will do it. Don’t worry about finding time. If it is a priority for you, you will find the time.

And like Nike always said, just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment