Sunday, August 4, 2013

Coaching 101

I know that I do get pretty darn preachy in this space, particularly with parents of athletes and people that don't take their health seriously at all.   Part of that is that I've either made every mistake in the book (the former) and seen every mistake in the book (in the latter).

But if you've been paying attention, you might have noticed that I rarely use this space to be negative.   That's on purpose.   Although I do have my demons and some limited prejudices, I try to always be upbeat and uplifting.  Here and in my everyday life.  
Being negative never really yields good results.  Oh, sure, you've heard me talk about the drive and ambition that I got from my high school guidance counselor telling me that I wasn't college material but what leads to true excellence will pretty much always be positive reinforcement.

High school sports seasons are about to start in earnest and I'd like to suggest that parents and fans to do the same.  Be positive.  Be supportive of your kids AND your coaches.
I've been around here working with schools and athletes and coaches since 1981.   I'm going to venture a guess that more than half (maybe most) of the coaches around here have been born since 1981.   Coaching tends to be a young person's job.   Few coaches actually coach all the way to retirement.  It's a hard job, with long hours and more than a few headaches.

I know the coaches around here.   Heck, I have taken care of many of them when they played.  Watched them grow up.  Like Brandon Waters, who I remember as a wide-eyed 8th grader who loved football and just wanted to grow up to be like his high school heroes.
And Tonia Johnson, who I actually coached in AAU basketball when she was just 16 years old.   Justin Ridge--a two sport athlete at William Blount.   I remember him when he was 15 and working hard to be good. 

Like Jon Young, who has chosen a different path (he's in school administration now) but had huge promise as a coach and has been a student of the game since he could walk.  Summer Russell Murrell played a variety of sports with my daughter and is a wonderful coach, parent, and role model for our young people.  And I knew her when she was maybe 6.
My point is this:  I know the coaches around here, on a basis you probably can't reach.  I've seen them behind closed doors.  When the game is on the line.   When times are tough and when times are good.

 They are with very rare exceptions outstanding, compassionate, responsible people.   People that you want your kids to be around.   If you think about it, why would they be teaching and coaching any way?  The hours?  The pay?  The hassles of dealing with teenagers every day?
I can say that in the 32 years that I've been a part of the sports scene around here,  I have seen very few circumstances where any coach wanted anything but the best for your kid.   Sure, they're human and they can make mistakes, but what they want for your child is the same thing that you want for your child--for them to be the best athlete that they can be.  For them to perform well on the playing field.  For them to take that experience and lessons learned and become better adults.

So they next time you might want to disparage a coach, think about how much better it would be if you just stayed positive, helping your child to understand why some coaching decisions are made rather than just jumping to the conclusion that the coach is an idiot.
They're not.  They're really just trying to provide your child with a positive experience and win some games.

No comments:

Post a Comment