Sunday, August 18, 2013

"It's My Job"

Back when I was in high school (just after the Dark Ages), I thought the world revolved around the local high school, particularly around the high school football season.

For sure, the biggest collection of folks in my hometown was Friday night football, especially if the team was good, but growing up, I didn't realize there was a larger world out there even in that small community, a community that did have quite a few folks whose life most definitely did not revolve around it.
At one time, I thought most surely that everyone was also in church on Sunday morning.   I found out differently about that one too.

But still, it is a wonderful time of year as the weather moves steadily toward winter and the sounds and sights and smells are all at their peak in this part of the country.  It's my favorite time of year.
For me, it is also the busiest time of the year.  My work days start early, with the 7 AM clinic for student-athletes at Cherokee followed by a day in the clinic or meetings and administrative time.  Afternoons find me at football practice from just before school is out until everyone is taken care of.

Once the season starts, the days just get longer.   Mondays might find me at a Freshman/JV football double header.  Thursdays, it is usually a middle school game.  Friday night, of course, is varsity football, which usually lasts until after 10 PM, unless there is an injured athlete that I need to follow to the Emergency Room.  Then it can be midnight or later.
Athletic Trainer Jen Winbigler covers everything except football at MHS but when she can't be two places at once, I will attend a volleyball game or a soccer match. 

Before you offer me some cheese to go with the whine, let me make it clear that I'm not complaining at all.  In fact, I love it.
Can there be a better place than sidelines at a high school football game?  Not for me.  The opportunity to be a part of the team and able to enjoy the thrill of victory alongside the coaches and players?  More than a few folks would trade places with me in a heartbeat.

And it's not just my games.  I enjoy them all.   I've watched kids grow up at all our local schools.
I look forward to seeing The Daily Times the next morning to read what Marcus or Grant or John wrote about the games.   Heck, if I get home early enough, I like to watch the 11 o'clock news to see what they have to say too.

And when my day job is over, I can often be found in Nashville or Washington, advocating for my professions and my patients, attending meetings and teaching seminars in a constant attempt to learn and grow, or on my bike.
But I do get tired and I am getting old so I do complain occasionally about the hours.  Right now, I'm putting in 50-60 hours a week.  My family is quick to remind me that I chose this job and this life.   To remind me that I could just as easily choose an easier path and a 40 hour work week.  That I could say "no" occasionally.

But that just wouldn't be me.  
One of my favorite Jimmy Buffett songs is called "It's My Job."  In it, Jimmy sings that "it's my job--without it, I'd be less than what I expect from me."

That probably sums it up pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment