Monday, June 27, 2016

Birthdays Are Good For Your Health

I've probably talked too much about birthdays lately.  I certainly have had plenty of them.  My 63rd was at the end of May.

But a friend sent me a note that said "birthdays are good for your health--people that have more birthdays  tend to live longer."

Sixty-three.  Sounds old.  I remember one time when I was a teenager and we had a new guy working with the youth at our church.  He was married with a couple of kids and in his thirties.  I very clearly remember thinking that a man in his thirties was really old.

Not so much now.

But here I sit with bifocals (or the modern day equivalent-progressive lens), hearing aids, walking with a limp.

Oh, I still bounce up in the morning excited about what the day brings.  My wife teases me about it.  
My alarm clock makes a subtle click before the music comes on and I'm awake, sitting up, and turning the alarm off before the first three notes.

About those hearing aids...John Berry convinced me to overcome my vanity and go for the behind-the-ear model instead of the in-the-ear and oh my goodness they work so much better. 

And I need a knee replacement.  My right knee is pretty worn out which is why I usually walk with a limp.  But it doesn't hurt and it does the things I want to do quite well so no knee replacement for me.  For now.

So what do we need to do to live long and be healthy as we get older?  Just like saving for retirement, it pays to start young. 

That means to establish good health habits.  Like exercising regularly.  And eating better.  No smoking (ever, ever, ever).  Getting enough sleep (that one's more of "do as I say, not as I do").  Finding something to laugh about every day.

And get your weight under control.  There is no doubt that weight control gets harder as you get older.  Your metabolism starts to fail you. 

I can't tell you how many patients that I've had who have a weight problem because their knees hurt so bad that it restricts their mobility.  And if you can't move, you can't burn the calories.

If you're "middle aged" it's much the same thing.  Life gets busier and time for exercise and taking care of yourself seems hard to find.  I've told lots of folks that you simply have to be selfish and take the time that is necessary to preserve your health. 

Regular medical care (a.k.a. annual physical) is also important.  I can remember my PCP asking me "why are you here?  You're the healthiest person I know."   I was 40.  It was simply part of my attempts to stay that way.

I've said often that it is more important for the 60-something to lift weights than it is for the 20-something.  Beginning in our late 20's, we start losing muscle mass.  Since few of us also lose weight, that means that muscle is being replaced by fat. 

Add in the need for weightbearing activities to help fight off osteoporosis and you can see why I say that it's more important to exercise later in life than it is when you're younger.


If you're late to the game, don't worry.  It's never too late to start getting healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment