Monday, July 11, 2016

In the end, Pat won the game

1098 wins.  8 National titles.  38 SEC championships.  23 All-Americans.

I don't even have to stop to tell you who I'm talking about.  You already know.

Pat Summitt was a legend, and not just around here.  People all across this country know what she did not just for women's basketball but for all of women's athletics. 

She made all those Neanderthals that didn't think women could play sports, any sports, eat their words.  She proved you could be female, aggressive, and non-apologetic.  Oh, and that you could kick some guys butt on the basketball court.

She changed things.  Forever.

And then Alzheimer's.  Dreaded, debilitating, unforgiving Alzheimer's

I have always been a Pat Summitt admirer but I have since realized that I was more a Pat Summitt disciple.  As the many quotes attributed to Coach Summitt have appeared in a broad range of media services, one in particular stands out for me.

"Here is how I'm going to beat you.  I'm going to outwork you."

That's it.  Simple.  To the point. 

Although I would insist that to reduce Pat Summitt just to a work ethic is unfair and blatantly wrong.  

She was one of the greatest basketball coaches of all time.  She and John Wooden are in a class by themselves among college coaches (that guy Geno just doesn't qualify yet--he hasn't changed the game).

She was smart.  She knew the game of basketball through and through.  Knew how to coach it.  Knew how to teach it.

She set high expectations for everyone in her program and then held herself to even higher standards.  She was tough as nails and expected you to be so too.

Before she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, she made the statement "there's something more I'm supposed to be doing."

Nobody could ever have considered that this something would be Alzheimer's.  That hideous, horrible disease. 

I saw Pat once well after the diagnosis.  She was shopping with an ever-present assistant.  She was a  disturbing sight.  My wife and I both were aghast.  This regal, articulate woman was reduced to a shell.

When I looked into those same steely eyes that were definitely a trademark, I saw nothing--an emptiness if you will.

Yet, it appears she lived the end of her life on her own terms, becoming a spokesperson for Alzheimer's research and definitely influencing lots of donations toward the goal of the ultimate victory--a cure.

Alzheimer's and dementia affect far more people than most realize.  You don't really appreciate the affects until it hits home.  You can't.

Loved ones that don't recognize you.  Or have no idea where they are or what they are doing. 


The last couple of weeks have been an outpouring of love and respect.  Let's all remember Pat not just for what she did but how she lived her life.  She lost this battle but she won the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment