Sunday, July 24, 2016

What are you going to do with your life?


I've told this story before but it bears repeating.

When I was in high school, the school's guidance counselor called me into the office to discuss my future.  His advice?  A 6 week TV repairman school in Chattanooga.

Now I've got nothing against TV repairmen (although they seem to be less and less common) but my parents had somehow instilled in me the ironclad, way-beyond-discussion knowledge that I was going to college.

For most of my life, I've wondered how they did that.  I think I have some idea now. 

Every generation (with only the most selfish of exceptions) wants their children to do better than they did.  Every parent wants their children to be happier and more successful than they were, with far better looks, charm, and personality (although those things are more dependent on genetics and parenting).

That's what my parents wanted.  My dad dropped out of school after the 6th grade because his family needed him to go to work.  He never knew anything else but he never quit trying to learn and better himself.

When he was disabled, my mom went back to work, first in a school cafeteria and then in a local factory.

As for me, I was expected to make good grades.  To be a good boy.  To go to church.

I was given lots of opportunities.  I was able to join Boy Scouts, clubs at school, athletic teams, the band, and anything that happened at our church.

We travelled some, usually staying with family or old friends, but I did get to see Niagra Falls, the St. Louis Arch being started, the Henry Ford Museum, and Daytona Beach.

One thing that might as well have been etched in stone was the crystal clear message that "can't never did do nothing."  Poor grammar I know but "can't" just wasn't allowed in our house.

You want something?  Go to work and earn the money and buy it yourself.  There are plenty of yards to be mowed, fences to be painted, and hay to be hauled (if you don't know that one, you're not from around here).

You want a tree house?  Build it.  I'll teach you how. 

When I built that tree house, my dad was confined to a sedentary lifestyle because of a series of heart attacks, but he sat at the bottom of the tree in a beach chair and coached me on how to build it.  If I ever tried to beat in a bent nail, oh my goodness, did I hear about it.

I was taught tons of lessons like that.  Such as "do it right the first time."

When we weren't sure how to afford the cost of college, we found a way (another lesson--"if you want something bad enough, you'll find a way").

I've said this one before too:  Surround yourself with people that support your dreams, that give wings to your flight.  As my daddy said, "can't never did do nothing."

No comments:

Post a Comment