Sunday, December 11, 2016

Dare To Be GREAT!


I've had the good fortune to speak to a lot of groups over the last few years.  Most of the time it is physical therapy students.  Just this week, I was in Johnson City, sharing with the ETSU physical therapy class that is about to graduate.

I enjoy doing that.  A lot.  My first college degree was in education so I guess I'm still a teacher at heart.  My first career decision was to be a preacher (I was about 12) and my mom always thought I had missed that call but I don't think so.

Still, I can be quite preachy, whether it be live in front of a crowd or in this space.

I do think I have something to offer.  Part of that is likely due to the candles on the birthday cake.  Experience can be a great teacher. 

Goodness knows that it isn't because I have everything all figured out. I definitely don't.  I've made pretty much every mistake in the book (which will be the title of my parenting book, if I ever get it finished). 

My personal mantra about all that is a paraphrase of Proust and goes something like this:  Embrace those that seek the truth--beware of those that have found it.

But I obviously do have some advice to give.  Thirty years of writing this column means I must have had something to say about a lot of things.

Lately, the message that I'm shouting the loudest to those students is simple:  Aspire to greatness.

That's it.  Think about it.  Nobody aspires to mediocrity (which is the rest of that story).  When we're young and full of ideas and dreams, woe be it to the one that discourages those ideas and dreams.

I think there's a special place in purgatory for them.  Probably because of some negative experiences in my own past, I've tried my whole life (what portion of it that I've had so far) to be a positive influence on young and old alike.

With my own kids, it was always the sky is the limit.  They heard from an early age that there is nothing that you can't do. 

I've chased my share of dreams.  I wanted a job that I enjoyed; a job that allowed me to give back.  Check.  I wanted kids.  Check.  I wanted good health.  Check. 

My life has gone way beyond those dreams.  I know for a fact that every English teacher (but one) that I ever had would never have predicted that I would have a newspaper column that has been printed weekly for this long.  Guarantee it. 

And I've traveled and seen places I didn't even know existed and I've been married to the same wonderful lady for over 40 years.  And I've been a part of a lot of cool things and have some of the best friends you can ever find.

The naysayers tell us that you can't have it all.  I say "why not?"   If you want it bad enough, you will achieve it.  Oh sure, there are limits.  The 5'4" female is not going to play offensive line in the NFL.  There are realisms there.

And I'm not here to tell you that all your dreams will be fulfilled.  Life does get in the way.  Priorities change.  There are roadblocks along the way.

But chase those dreams with vigor and drive and persistence and you will build a life that is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment