Sunday, December 25, 2016

Merry Christmas!


Christmas morning.  Wow!  I remember those mornings when I was a child.  I was the first one up, long before my poor parents would have liked. 

I can remember the smell of the tree and the thrill of opening gifts.  Even then, I knew how special the feeling was to see someone open up a gift that you just knew they would love.  Little did I know that my mom, in particular, would love whatever I came up with.

I'm sure that they felt the same love and delight that I did when I watched my own kids wake up and run to see what they could find under the tree.  Truth be known, I was already awake anticipating their delight.

Growing up, a lot of our family life  was entwined with our church family, especially at Christmas.  I remember the wonder of the season in that church that seems so tiny now.  There was always a choir concert.  And a nativity scene.  I remember a small bag of goodies that included an orange, an apple, and some candy. 

We all need to remember that this season is not easy for everybody.  Somebody has to die today and that means that every Christmas Day forever will remind their family of the loss. 

This is my first Christmas without my mom, who passed away in October but it really isn't even bittersweet--such is the world of dementia.  She's in a better place.  I'm certain of that.

 Christmas Day certainly makes me think about things like life, birth, growth, eternity.   Reflection is good for the soul and what better day to self-reflect than today?  (OK, I'm writing this on Wednesday but I'm in the Christmas spirit and pretending it's Christmas morning anyway which is, by the way, when you are reading this!)

The hot topic of the week has been the departure of George Quarles.  I've spent 23 years on the sideline with him and I am grateful for that time.  I will miss him.  I wish him well (except when they play Clemson). 

He's a great coach and a better man and I appreciate what he's done for this community.  I also look forward to seeing what is next for this storied program.

Speaking of tomorrow, what will tomorrow bring?  We never know.  I'm at an age where some of my friends are dying.  Since I'm writing this on a Wednesday, I know definitely what's on the schedule for tomorrow.  Right now I know that tomorrow morning I will get up and go to work and ride my bike then work some more before going home to my lovely wife.

Will it happen that way?  I don't know.  Will I be there?  I hope so.  I don't have any plans to go anywhere.

What about you?  What does tomorrow hold for you?  What do you have planned for tomorrow?  And all the tomorrows after that?

And what are the positives in your life?  What is there in your life that you really look forward to?  Go do it.

Who in your life supports you?  Who tells you that "you can do this" regularly?  Embrace them.  Believe in them.

What makes you more alive?  What inspires you?  Hang on tight to all of them.

Use this day...this wonderful, wonderful day...to start living the life that you want to live.  The life that you dream of.  The life that was intended for you.




No comments:

Post a Comment