Thursday, September 21, 2023

Dieting is Hard

 


New data is out. Tennessee is now only the 10th most obese state in America. West Virginia is #1, with 51.05% of the state’s citizens being classified as obese.  Unfortunately, Tennessee isn’t far behind at 47.50%

Behind West Virginia, in order, you will find Mississippi in second followed by Alabama, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, then South Dakota. Followed by #10 Tennessee. We’ve been closer to the top in the past.

I’m from the South and proud of it. Yet, I have to admit that I’m disappointed with certain aspects of our part of the country. I suppose I should look at it within the context of America as a whole.  The problem isn’t confined to one part of the country. But in too many important factors, we’re way down the list. Smoking. Education.

What we can’t ignore is that obesity is the source of many of the health problems that we encounter in our senior years. Rather than beat ourselves up about it, let’s look at what can be done. It really is a complex problem.

Some will say that it is the tendency for cooks in the South to fry everything. They blame it on southerners trying to make lesser foods tastier. I’ve never seen blackened catfish but I know that I prefer my catfish fried with tarter sauce.

And it’s not necessarily a southern thing. I once dined at a relative’s table well north of the Mason-Dixon Line and literally everything served was fried. Admittedly, they had southern roots, but they had lived in the north a lot longer than they had lived in the south.

It’s hard to ignore portion sizes, all-you-can-eat buffets, and food choices, wherever you live.

No doubt, part of it is lifestyle. In my opinion (and remember that this is all my opinion), it isn’t that we’re just lazy. I don’t think that’s it at all. Most of the people that I know never stop. Long days, packed schedules, and trying to do everything is more the norm than not.

When I’m behind and don’t have time to eat good food, I’ll eat whatever I can grab. More often than not, it is something that isn’t good for me.

It’s especially bad if I push it, allowing my hunger to grow. If I miss a meal or extend my limits, I’ll end up eating anything put in front of me. And probably more than my body needs, as I attempt (physically or mentally) to catch up.

I think that’s true for a lot of folks. Scarfing down a bag of chips and a couple of hot dogs is the easy way sometimes and yes, I do that.

The solution for me is to brown bag my lunch. I eat almost the same thing every day at work. But that takes some preparation and sometimes I forget or don’t have time to prepare adequately. It only works if you work at it. It does take some effort.

Snacks are also important. And not candy bars or cookies. Foods that are more complex, lower in sugar, and have some kind of healthier ingredients. My personal favorite is nuts.

Eating late at night is also a huge problem. Sometimes I eat way too early, as the evening schedule is so full that I know I won’t get any time to eat. Then, when I finally get home, I’m starved. I have to fight the urge to eat anything and everything in the fridge.

It takes willpower to eat a reasonable amount if you’re eating closer to bedtime but it’s hugely important. I’m not much of an advocate for counting calories but at bedtime, it helps.

And just so you know that I haven’t forgotten who I am, yes, exercise is essential. You need to do something every day that gets your heart rate up.


No comments:

Post a Comment